Tuesday 22 November 2011

Presents from my Aunts in Pakistan - Moniza Alvi


 They sent me a salwar kameez
 peacock-blue,
 and another
 glistening like an orange split open,
 embossed slippers, gold and black
 points curling.
 Candy-striped glass bangles
 snapped, drew blood.
 Like at school, fashions changed
 in Pakistan - the salwar bottoms were broad and stiff,
 then narrow.
 My aunts chose an apple-green sari,
 silver-bordered
 for my teens.

 I tried each satin-silken top -
 was alien in the sitting-room.
 I could never be as lovely
 as those clothes -
 I longed
 for denim and corduroy.
 My costume clung to me
 and I was aflame,
 I couldn't rise up out of its fire,
 half-English,
 unlike Aunt Jamila.

 I wanted my parents' camel-skin lamp -
 switching it on in my bedroom,
 to consider the cruelty
 and the transformation
 from camel to shade,
 marvel at the colours
 like stained glass.

 My mother cherished her jewellery -
 Indian gold, dangling, filigree,
 But it was stolen from our car.
 The presents were radiant in my wardrobe.
 My aunts requested cardigans
 from Marks and Spencers.

 My salwar kameez
 didn't impress the schoolfriend
 who sat on my bed, asked to see
 my weekend clothes.
 But often I admired the mirror-work,
 tried to glimpse myself
 in the miniature
 glass circles, recall the story
 how the three of us
 sailed to England.
 Prickly heat had me screaming on the way.
 I ended up in a cot
 In my English grandmother's dining-room,
 found myself alone,
 playing with a tin-boat.

 I pictured my birthplace
 from fifties' photographs.
 When I was older
 there was conflict, a fractured land
 throbbing through newsprint.
 Sometimes I saw Lahore -
 my aunts in shaded rooms,
 screened from male visitors,
 sorting presents,
 wrapping them in tissue.

 Or there were beggars, sweeper-girls
 and I was there -
 of no fixed nationality,
 staring through fretwork
 at the Shalimar Gardens.